Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Zucchini Linguine

How to turn this:

 Into this:

This is actually my version of a recipe my mom used to make (back in the day before Celiac Disease).  It's super simple and a really nice, light summer dinner.  You could easy add some grilled chicken to this, but I love it just the way it is.  My favorite thing is that we are growing all the produce for this recipe in our garden, so if all goes well, I'll be able to make this with my own zucchini, tomatoes and basil! (Actually I made it with my basil this time, but the rest of our garden isn't ready) I did get the zucchini from a local co-op, along with some super yummy peaches.  Trying to to decide if I'll make something with those…or just devour them.

Anywho, back to the recipe.  

Zucchini Linguine (serves 4-6)

Ingredients
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 zucchini (or any similar squash), sliced
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes (you could also use a can of diced tomatoes)
1 pkg linguine (or just your favorite pasta, but, come on, linguine rhymes)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (extra if desired)
1-2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (optional)
1 tsp red pepper flake (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Fill a large pot with water for the pasta and put it on high heat.
  2. When it reaches a rolling boil, drop in the pasta (be sure to move the pasta around several times so it doesn't stick).  I do cook the entire package because the leftovers are great for lunch.*
  3. Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium high heat (I use a large nonstick skillet.  Whatever you use needs to be large enough to toss the pasta in at the end).
  4. Add your zucchini slices (and your red pepper flake, if you're using it).  Usually when I make this recipe I use one zucchini and one yellow squash, but I had three different kinds here, so I used half of each.  The amount isn't crucial.  If you love zucchini, add more!
  5. Sauté the zucchini for 5-7 minutes.  You're not looking to brown them or cook them down a lot, just soften them.  
  6. Toss in your tomatoes, and add a ladle full of pasta water.  Then place a lid on your veggies and turn the heat down to medium low.
  7. Your pasta is probably ready, so go ahead and drain that, but do not rinse it.
  8. Dump the pasta into the sauté pan, add the parmesan cheese and basil and toss.  If it seems dry, add a tablespoon or two of olive oil.  I use tongs to toss it together, it's just easier with long pasta.
  9. Serve it up and top with extra cheese!
Enjoy!

*Reheats easily in the microwave, but I recommend adding a bit of water to your microwave safe container as this pasta recipe tends to get a little dry.

-->If you're interested in nutritional information, leave a comment and I can figure that out for you!<-- font="">


No comments: