Pages

Monday, January 06, 2014

a little cleaning, and a few memories

Today was Ellie's first day back to school.  I was actually a little sad about it.  I stayed home with her for 2 1/2 years, and even though she loves preschool and I'm really excited she is in preschool, having a two week break made me nostalgic for our time home together.

While she was gone, I used the time to clean out her closet.  I sorted her clothes, donating some of the items that are too small, and putting others in storage.  This didn't help.  It's so strange going through her clothes, knowing she'll never wear them again.  It's like boxing up a chapter of her life.  I realize that might sound really sad and I'm being melodramatic.  I love watching her grow up, it's exciting, and she is amazing, and every new achievement makes me so proud of her.  I love the songs she makes up, her shocking grasp on sarcasm, and the new concept of making up games that she has recently discovered.

But there is still a part of me that misses baby Ellie.  I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I know I go back to work this week, which means I won't get a full day of Ellie time.  I also wonder if this is my mind telling me I'm ready for the next baby.  I've gone back and forth about the timing of the next one for a long time.  I know we'll have another, I just didn't feel ready.

Ellie is ready.  She came home from preschool one day talking about her brother.  Brother?  After asking a little more, I find out she has just decided one of her classmates is her brother.  She knows other kids have sisters and brothers, and I guess she was just playing along.

Despite my nostalgia, I did get Ellie's clothes put away.  I also managed to get the new curtain rods put up in the master bedroom.  No more wimpy, cheap, bowing curtain rods for us!  Our room is starting to look like grown ups live there.

I also tried to put towel bars up in the bathroom.  I got 2 out of 3 finished, and then stripped the last two screws.  Seriously?  The last two?  I was so close!  I had to walk away from that.  There was no fixing it today.

Tomorrow I go back to work, but it's an inservice day so no students.  I'm a little excited to get back to my classroom and set up for the last half of the year.   Thanks to the weather for a short week!

No comments: