Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

FO Friday: I made up a pattern!

**Disclaimer**  Just so the grandparents/family/friends don't get confused: I am not pregnant.  This is not an announcement of any kind.  This was made as a gift.  Again, I repeat, Ellie is not going to be a big sis, at this time.  Thank you.


Ok, now that that is out of the way.  I made up a pattern!  I mean, it's a hat, so it's not like it was anything complicated, like a sweater or anything.  Basically I made a rectangle, folded it and sewed the edges.  But I did have to plan out the lettering, which turned out to be a learning experience.  I started with the pink hat and I ended up having to do it twice because I didn't like the way the letters turned out the first time.


I made these hats for a friend of mine who is having her second baby.  I wanted to include her daughter in the gift in some way, and I knew I wanted to knit something.  Since the baby is due in the fall, I figured a hat would be perfect, and why not add a hat for the big sis so she can let everyone at school know about her little brother (although I'm sure she'll tell everyone she sees, hat or no hat).
It was easy to choose the colors, as they were from the yarn I recently inherited from my grandma's yarn stash.  So there is a little bit of grandma knitted into these hats as well.


Construction:
I can't remember exactly what I cast on for each hat, but I think it was something like 28 for the newborn hat and 38 for the big hat.
Then I knit approximately one inch of 2 x 2 ribbing.
Purl one row.
Stockinette stitch, adding in the lettering (although you could add any design you wanted, it is a big blank square).*
I did about 50 rows of stockinette for the newborn hat and about 80 row for the pink hat.
Purl one row.
Another inch of 2 x 2 ribbing.
Cast off.
Sew the side seems, and add a pompoms or tassels to the top corners to finish the hat.

*I do have my chart for the lettering if anyone is interested.

No comments: