Pages

Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Ramblings: Toddlers

We are trying to potty train.  I hate potty training.  I want her to be potty trained, but I don't want to do it.  Is there just a seminar you can send them to for a couple days and they come back potty trained?  I feel like there's millions to be made in something like that, but I still don't want to do it.

We converted her crib to a toddler bed.  Here is what her pediatrician (the father of a daughter the same age as Ellie) told me when I asked about this particular transition:

                 "Keep her in that crib until she climbs out."

Seemed like great advice, right?  Well, a couple weeks ago she was scaled the outside of her crib to try to get the toy she had just thrown into her crib.  We thought we were really lucky because she had yet to try to leave her room.  We would put her to bed, she would get out of bed and go lay down by her nightlight to read her books.  Usually she fell asleep by the nightlight and we'd have to move her later.  Nick and I were discussing our success with this transition, knowing it would be short lived, and the very next day she opened the door to her room at 6:15am to wake us up.  I will never brag about my parenting skills again.

The Terrible Twos are a real thing, at least for girls.  Until Ellie was born, I only had nephews.  Boys are different.  They seem to have a Terrible Threes phase.  I have also noticed that toddlers are like mini-teenagers, which makes me wonder if teenagers are just giant toddlers.  I mean, I've met a good share of adults who clearly never developed beyond the Terrible Twos.  If this is the case, if Ellie's Terrible Twos are any indication of her teenage years, I'm going to just start drinking now.  Seriously, it's like the worst case of PMS.  Ever.

I had this wonderful weight loss goal for this summer.  I had a whole routine figured out.  I would work out during her nap time and possibly also after she went to bed.  I would take her on walks in the jogging stroller around the neighborhood and on the greenway.  Instead, by the time I put her to bed, I'm mentally and emotionally spent.  You would think getting on the elliptical would help that (it probably would, I should probably do it), but all I want to do is sit in front of the TV and let my brain turn to mush.

I do want to lose the weight, I just don't feel motivated anymore.  I just want to be skinny again.  Can someone please arrange that for me? (I'm going to go eat a cookie now)

4 comments:

Jessi said...

My kids totally had the terrible threes. It gets better. Just deal and one-day-at-a-time it. Also, drink.

As far as potty training goes, I would recommend m&m's... That's all I've got. I'd like to give you some great wisdom, but I trained Brynna with threats and desperation and Maren was daytime trained at 18 mos. but still uses a diaper at night at 4 1/2. I've got nothing.

Sleep Goblin said...

I hear good things about potty boot camp, but I've yet to do it myself as you can imagine. (Basically, you keep your kid naked for 3 days and they're supposed to be potty trained by the third day. Obviously, it is messy, but it's getting warmer, so you can do it outside.)

Does it make you feel any better to know that I will have the terrible threes in duplicate?

Lisa said...

Jessi - So far we're using stickers because she's obsessed with stickers so I figured it'd be a good reward. I'm seriously impressed that you had Maren potty trained at 18 months. Nighttime training is tough, but seriously, 18 months is impressive!
SG - We have been doing a version of the potty boot camp. She's in underwear, no diaper. So she feels/sees when she's wet. It means a lot of outfit changes, but no more laundry than I did with cloth diapers. She loved sitting on her potty, but we've hit a new snag. She hates being interrupted from her play. Typical toddler, but frustrating.
Your boys will drive you crazy :) but you'll do great. I mean, they're awesome at this age. They really are. I love it. It's just a new kind of exhausting. Instead of waking you during the night like a newborn, they're constantly challenging you during the day (and sometimes still waking you during the night).

Jessi said...

Oh, hey. It totally wasn't me. She was one of the youngest in her daycare and she potty trained herself because she wanted to do what the big kids were doing. I just thought it was cute, but then she was using the potty all day at daycare and coming home and wearing a diaper, so I had to do something. I was so incredibly lucky with her. I take no credit at all. Not even a little.