Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Baby Food Made Easy

For some reason people have this idea that making your own baby food is complicated.  I say, if you can make mashed potatoes, or even a smoothie, you can make baby food.  Its as simple as 1, 2, 3...

1. Steam or roast the item.  In this example, I am making sweet potatoes, so I steamed them in about an inch of water for approximately 15 minutes (it may have been longer because Ellie decided she wanted a bottle).


When I made butternut squash I roasted it with about a teaspoon of oil (to keep from sticking) and it worked great!  Boiling is not the best option because you lose a lot of valuable nutrients.

2. Puree!  I usually have to add some water (leftover cooking liquid when steamed). 






3. This is two medium sized sweet potatoes.  It makes a ton of food, which is the whole idea, so the best way to store it is to freeze it.  I use ice cube trays.


Once these are frozen, I transfer them to a labeled freezer bag.


This is the butternut squash from last week, as you can see there are several perfect little cubes in there!

I realize this isn't for everyone.  I happen to love cooking, so it just made sense that I would enjoy making Ellie's food.  We buy groceries once a week and I spend a little time prepping produce and its the perfect opportunity, while I'm chopping, to go ahead and make baby food.  I have so much baby food in my freezer.  One batch lasts for months!  ...except the sweet potatoes, she LOVES them!

At this point Ellie is still being introduced to solid food, so we have only tried carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, and bananas. I will have to post again when we start mixing and creating baby food recipes.

No comments: